The Salvation Army has been active in the community of Nanaimo since 1888. It operated out of the building at 19 Nicol until a new church building was opened on the corner of Bruce and Eighth Street, in April, 1986. The Salvation Army continues to provide emergency assistance and the community meal program out of the original building at 19 Nicol Street. In 2007, the New Hope Centre which houses an emergency shelter, transitional housing and halfway house was opened next to the original building.
The outreach of The Salvation Army flows out of the congregation that gathers weekly at church on Eight Street.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.